It is difficult to understand what anyone else is going through. This applies to you and your loved ones with hearing loss. Some problems or health issues seem to weigh heavier during the holidays. Your hearing professionals at Hearing Solutions, Inc. are here with some ways to help keep your loved ones, with hearing loss, close during the holidays. It is important all year long to watch for the warning signs in case your loved one is having a hard time dealing with hearing loss.
Finding Ways to Help Loved Ones Stay Close During Holidays
Even though you may not be able to understand exactly what your loved one with hearing loss is going through, there are ways to better understand them and keep them included in all of the family’s activities and events. Here are ways to help your loved ones stay close during the holidays:
- Understand that hearing loss is stressful.
- Ask how they are doing and if they need anything.
- Make sure that they have everything need to help their hearing.
- Refrain from having loud music or other loud noises at holiday gatherings.
- Make sure to sit them in a place where their hearing can be optimal: against a wall and not near any speakers.
- Have patients.
- Listen to their needs.
- Find activities that they enjoy and make sure that they can hear during them.
- Get your hearing checked too.
Warning Signs to Look For that Your Loved Ones with Hearing Loss Feel Alienated
If you have a loved one that is dealing with hearing loss, there are signs to look for that might indicate that they are feeling alienated. It can happen because it is hard to understand what they are going through. Paying close attention to detail and providing some care goes a long way. Here are some warning signs to look for that your loved ones with hearing loss are having difficulties adjusting to their disability:
- Change in weight
- Not acting like themselves
- Declining invitations to holiday festivities
- Withdrawing from conversation or monopolizing conversations
- Communications start to break down
Hearing Solutions, Inc. Protecting Your Hearing and Helping with Hearing Loss
At Hearing Solutions, Inc., we are here to help you and your loved ones deal with hearing loss. The holidays can be a difficult time without the support and love of friends and family. If you or anyone you know is struggling with hearing loss during the holidays or anytime, please contact us at Hearing Solutions, Inc. to schedule an appointment.